Wednesday, March 11, 2009

3D CUPCAKE BOX

Okay here is the long awaited tutorial on making the cupcake box. This box is large enough to hold a cupcake, although, I would wrap it in some sort of clear wrap to keep icing from bleeding into the paper. I used GBS & PSB. It is made in three pieces, but the original photo only shows the two main pieces. I used a prima instead of the "cherry" from the file. Here it is photographed on a tea cup saucer. You will need 6 x 6" printed card stock for the "wrapper" and 12 x 12" solid for the icing and cupcake. The topper is a 3 x 3" piece of red, it's the cherry. 1. Cut the cupcake from the 12 x 12" card stock. I used a lighter weight and it works great. You may have to complete the cut on one of the long ends. It gets "tucked" in, so it's okay if it's not perfect. 2. DO NOT REMOVE THE PAPER FROM THE MAT. Reload the paper and select the scorelines tab. I used a setting of 2 on pressure and 2 on blade depth for this one. Now you should have a piece that looks like this, although, I have already cut & folded this one. 3. Now you have to make the necessary cuts and folds. Here are the cut & fold lines. Cut is done in red and folds are done in purple. Click on the photo for a larger view. 4. Apply quick drying glue or adhesive to the inside of the tabs. They will glue to the outside of the bottom as shown here. To line up you will have to tuck part of the top inside. I also tried to show this in the photo. Do this all the way around and it should look like this. 5. Creating the top of the cupcake is not hard, but requires you to hold the pieces in place as you go around. Start by folding one section down. Then working in a counter clockwise direction bring the next one down on top and line up the notches. Continue with the third and when you do the fourth the long tab should tuck in nicely and hold. Finish up the other two. The last one you will have to tuck the side in under the first one, as well. Here is a series of photos that show how to tuck them in. Yeah!!! You have just completed the hardest part!!!! It should look like this now. 6. Now lets cut the wrapper. Again, DO NOT REMOVE THE PAPER! Reload and cut the scorelines. Here is what it will look like, but mine is cut & folded already. 7. Time to cut & fold. This is done much the same as above. Here are the cut & fold lines. 8. This time we are going to glue the tabs on the inside, so apply adhesive to the outside of the tabs. Glue each tab around. When you are finished it should look like this on the outside. THAT'S IT!!! YOU CAN DECORATE WITH STICKLES, BLING OR ANYTHING YOU MIGHT LIKE. THERE IS ALSO A "CHERRY" FOR THE TOP IN THE FILE. I JUST CUT THE "CHERRY" TO DEMONSTRATE HOW TO FOLD IT. I, HOWEVER, HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT THE FOLDING OF THE "CHERRY". So, the file is there if you can figure out how to fold it correctly. Be sure that you only glue your decoration to one section on the top of the cupcake if you want the cupcake to open up. Plese leave feedback on this tutorial. I'd like to know how well you understood the instructions and so on. Also feel free to add a donation at the button on the top right of this blog if you would like. Please do not feel like you have to. I am sharing this file either way. This one did take some time and all appreciation will be gladly accepted.

29 comments:

Snatertje said...

Hi Laurinda

thanks for sharing and for the tutorial it'great.
Thanks for this great file.

Anonymous said...

This is just great!!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for making this. This is awesome and you did a great job.

Nicole B

Anonymous said...

Laurinda, you did an awesome job with the cupcake and the tutorial. It must have been hard with all your jumping up and down and all after finding out you are going to be a gramma. Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

It is just super. Thanks for sharing the cut file and tutorial.

Anonymous said...

GREAT TUTORIAL..BEAUTIFUL CUPCAKE BOX.

TFS

BOBBI

Marjorie said...

Laurinda. I want to say a special thanks to you for all your hard work! I think you did a good job on the tutorial as I did understand each part. I have not cut this, but I don't think I would have any trouble putting it together with your detailed instructions. Thanks for sharing your file.

projectsgalor said...

Thank You for sharing.

Your tutorial looks really good.
Cyndi

4paws said...

You did an awesome job with the cupcake and the tutorial. Thank you very much for sharing both!

CONGRATULATIONS ON BECMING GRANPARENTS!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Laurinda! I will give this cut a try and see if my brain is up to folding it! The instructions look very thorough!

Rupesmom

Anonymous said...

Awesome awesome job!!!

TFS and for all your hard work!

Rita

Anonymous said...

This is so cute. Thanks for sharing the file and your great instructions.

Angela Mclean said...

Just gorgeous and utterly unique. Thanks so much for sharing. Angela. xxx

Kai1 said...

Excellent! Tutorial and 3D cupcake design keep up the great work

Anonymous said...

Thank you-that is so awesome and I really understood how to do the foldswith the Cricut

MaryNSC said...

WOW THANK U very very very MUCH!!

Carol said...

Laurinda, this is simply AMAZING, what a clever and creative cupcake box... it can be used for many occassions, i am at awed! thank you so much for sharing this with the rest of us! (who only see in 2D :)LOL). Really love it!

craftaddict said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely file, it looks good enough to eat!
eileen

Doramiyi said...

Awesome box Laurinda. How did you ever come up with such a creation. So envious of your talent. Thanks for sharing and keep on inspiring.

doramiyi
doramiyi at gmail dot com
-CANADA-

1derland said...

TFS! I saw this somewhere and was thinking "this would make a great cut file!" Then..presto... you did it! Thanks! Can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

OMG! this is so cute. what a great design. Thanks so much for sharing.
Robin

Jen said...

Thank you for doing this Laurinda. Someone had asked me to make it but I just didn't have the time. I'll be referring her to your blog!!
Rock on girl!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

This is astoundingly gorgeous! The cupcake and the perfect tutorial. What a labour of love!!! Hope it's alright if I link to You? Thank you so very much for sharing your time & talent! :O)

Crazy For Scrapping said...

thank you for this cute 3d cupcake box will be cute to use as a party favor for my sister-in-laws baby shower that I am puting together.

Chai Dackermann said...

Thank you for sharing your files. i was going to try to attempt this but was too intimidated.

paperscissorsink said...

I just was looking at these in a catalog and wanting to make some, but had no idea where to start, your the best! There is a Kreative Blogger for you on my blog.

Gracie's Blog said...

Thank you so much for sharing, I am going to try to cut it out tomorrow!!!

sally said...

many thanks, this is just what I've been searching for

Annette said...

Great blog, I just found you tonight. I love all of your cut files, especially the Cupcake box, problem is that all the files that I try to load are won't. Seems the links are broken and it takes me to a page full of garbal! Please, please help :-)

Annette